Skip to main content

Apne liye, jiye to kya jiye, tu jee ae dil zamaane ke liye ...

“What? I’ve never heard of something like this!” 

Parth was amazed when his friend Kaushal called to invite him for a special event at the Ahmedabad branch of Indian Red Cross Society. 

Kaushal’s father was voluntarily donating blood for the 100th time.  

“Kaushal, I am getting goosebumps. People are afraid of the sight of a needle and your father donates blood every three months? Wow.”

Kaushal’s chest puffed up a little. Yes, not many had a father like his.

“Will you join me, Parth? I also intend to make my first blood donation. Incidentally, the 14th of June is also celebrated as World Blood Donors’ Day.” 

“Yes, I will be there! Tell me, can I also donate blood?”

“Let’s check with the doctors on that day at the Blood Bank.”

 

14th June 2021, was a historic day for the Parekh family. It was a landmark event for Rameshbhai Parekh, Kaushal’s father while young Kaushal was making his debut for a noble cause. Parth also donated blood for the first time.

It was not easy to convince his parents but after a chat with Kaushal’s father,  they finally relented.

Soon after, Parth went to Rameshbhai and asked: “Uncle, would you like to do an InstaLive with me?” 

“InstaLive? What is that?” Though Rameshbhai had been active on LinkedIn and Twitter, he was unfamiliar with the social media world of the Gen Next. 

“Oh Uncle! How do I explain it to you? It’s like your live TV interview, but on a social media platform called Instagram. It is very popular amongst our age group.” 

Parth was very active on Instagram and used to do many “live” events every now and then. So, when he announced the event for the same weekend, he could still get more than 100 registrations. “Wow, a century of registrations for a centurion blood donor’s show!” Parth’s excitement was palpable.

 

“Good evening, Insta buddies. We are back again for yet another show. Last Monday was a special day of my life. I took the proverbial first step in the journey of a thousand miles. It would make my parents proud. Well, I donated blood for the first time in my life. And my chest is swollen with pride. However, this show is not about me and my achievement. Friends, today I am going to have a chat with the person, who inspired me to take this first step, Mr. Rameshbhai Parekh, a centurion blood donor. This week, he donated blood for the 100thtime. And mind you, this was voluntary donation – without any expectation.”

The Instagram chat box started buzzing with “Wow”, “👍”, “🤩”, “😮”, “Oh my” …..

One comment read; “Wow, 100th donation? And I faint when I see a drop of blood 

“Mr. Parekh, welcome to the show and thank you for accepting my request today.”

“Pleasure is all mine, Parth.”

“I was really thrilled to donate blood for the first time in my life. We both know that it was you who inspired me to do that. Could you please tell us how you got started?”

“It was my second semester in the engineering college. …”

 

Ramesh Parekh, a first year student at L D Engineering College was rushing to the canteen with his usual gang. A social worker had come to their college to give a lecture on behalf of Indian Red Cross Society. “Another lecture on first aid. They will talk about snake bite once again. Professor se khatarnaak koi saanp dekha hai, kya?” 

“Arre chal na, dimaag bahar rakh ke sun lenge. Kya bolta hai?” 

“Nahin yaar, I don’t want to come.” Ramesh said.

“Abe chal na. My father knows him. They worked in the same office. I have to attend. At least mere liye chal.”

And that is how Ramesh entered the assembly hall that day. The social worker from Indian Red Cross office had recently retired from his job as an officer with the Government of Gujarat. This tall, well-built, bald man had a very impressive personality, though he was dressed shabbily. 

A little over an hour later when the students came out of the room, the world looked different, though apparently nothing had changed. 

The next day, Ramesh and some of his friends were at the Blood bank at the Indian Red Cross Society. The first step was taken.

 

“Wow, so this social worker seems like the greatest motivator. Can you tell me more about him?”

“Yes Parth. His name is Mr. Mahesh Trivedi. He spent his life in the area of Voluntary Blood Donation movement for years. And, needless to say, he has been a centurion blood donor himself. I haven’t seen anyone with such energy levels. It is rare to see someone, who can so easily engage with any age group and with people of different stature with equal ease.”

“Looks like we must get him here for a chat. Can you help me get him here, uncle?”

“If only I could. We just lost him two days ago. After a long battle with COVID-19, he succumbed. But then, his life is a lesson by itself. You must have read that quote from Swami Vivekananda: 

Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. 

Mr. Mahesh Trivedi personified that. He took up the idea of voluntary blood donation and lived for it. Even in his last days, he was busy helping people.”

“Uncle, can you please elaborate on that? What happened in his last days?”

“Yesterday, I got a call from Sriram, someone I knew through the Red Cross connection. I still get goosebumps when I think of what told me.”

 

“Rameshbhai, how can this happen? This is impossible.” Rameshbhai could feel the grief in Sriram’s voice. He continued, “I cannot believe that Maheshbhai is not with us anymore. Just a few weeks ago, he saved my brother’s life, by helping us get plasma. How can God do this to him?”

“Sriram, I can understand your grief. We have all lost a great man.”

“But what happened?”

Rameshbhai told Sriram about the coronavirus infection and subsequent hospitalization for almost two months. “Two months in the hospital? That is not possible. Just hold the line. I need to check something.”

Rameshbhai waited for a couple of minutes before he heard a sigh at the other end. And then, Sriram was sobbing on the phone. 

“Rameshbhai, this is unbelievable. Maheshbhai was himself in the hospital undergoing treatment when he helped my brother. It was the 30th of April when he helped us get plasma.”

Rameshbhai had constantly been in touch with Mahesh Trivedi’s family throughout his hospitalization. A chill passed through his bones. Mr. Mahesh Trivedi was put on a BiPAP machine on the 28th April. 

Even when he was unable to breathe on his own, he was still saving lives. 

 

“Parth, I am at a loss of words.” Rameshbhai’s voice was already shaking. “I remember an old song by Manna Dey – Apne liye, jiye to kya jiye, tu jee ae dil zamaane ke liye.”

Parth had tears in his eyes. “Thank you Uncle for coming over to my show and sharing about this Dev Purush. My bad that I missed a chance to meeting him personally.”

“Parth, Maheshbhai had lit a torch. It is now our duty to keep the flame on.”

“Yes Uncle. My sincere thanks to you for coming over. And I close today’s show by taking a pledge that every three months, I will donate blood. I also pledge to spread awareness about voluntary blood donation.”

Amit Trivedi

 

 

The story behind this story:

My father, Mr. Maheshbhai Trivedi, worked as a volunteer / social worker with the Indian Red Cross Societys Ahmedabad branch for 50 years. He also served Red Cross as Secretary, Ahmedabad Branch. The three primary areas in which he worked were:

1.     Voluntary blood donation movement

2.     Eye donation

3.     Eradication of Thalassemia, a genetic disorder

On 24th April 2021, he was admitted to hospital due to COVID-19.

1.     While waiting at home for the ambulance on 24th April, he coordinated to get plasma for a COVID patient

2.     On 25th April, while in the hospital, he made a few phone calls to help someone get blood at Jaipur and saved a life. (The relative of the patient, who spoke to my father later told my sister, when he got to know about the demise of Papa.)

3.     Few days later, while he was unable to breathe and was on the BiPAP machine, he organised plasma for another COVID patient (we do not know the exact date, as the doctor on duty told us after a few days)

Papa was in the hospital from 24th April onwards and then he was shifted to ICU few days later. He never came out of the ICU.

 

Comments

  1. An exemplary life. A champion of many trades . Amazing personality. A voice that motivated millions acros the country .
    Childlike enthusiasm and wisdom of centuries.... An extremely handsome and strong man..
    A most beautiful mind and a fountain head of most innovative ideas...
    Lifetime of struggles and proud victory on each one....
    Compassion, dedication, honesty, humbleness.
    Irun out of adjectives describing him.
    God stopped making humans his kind.
    Papa you live in our hearts .

    ReplyDelete
  2. He had been truly a karmyogi with great enthusiasm to reach out in many ways. Travelling with him had been an enriching experience. His deeds and motivation will keep him alive in many many hearts. He lived life simply and made huge impact. Salute to his unconditional giving to the society till his last breath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very much the uncle In have known, for 30 years.... How much a single person can change the world... for better!👌👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly Inspirational.

    Even if we all do a fraction of what uncle has done, the world will be a much better place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing man Amit! Truly one of the greats! Wish I could have met him....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really inspiring Amit bhai. We get inspired by the on screen heroics of the actors but stories of real heroes like Mahesh Uncle is worth reading again and again till the time we take up one idea and make this our purpose of life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fitting tribute to an extraordinary person!

    Truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. अनपेक्ष: शुचिर्दक्ष उदासीनो गतव्यथ: |
    सर्वारम्भपरित्यागी यो मद्भक्त: स मे प्रिय: ||

    Bhagavad Gita: Chapter 12, Verse 16

    Those who are indifferent to worldly gain, externally and internally pure, skillful, without cares, untroubled, and free from selfishness in all undertakings, such devotees of Mine are very dear to Me.

    Your father, is 100 % dear to Yogeshwar. A true selfless Karmayogi.

    And I'm sure he is very proud of having another Karmayogi in family like you.

    Amit sir, I feel so proud of your father even when I have not meet him, that the magnanimity of Mahesh kaka.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an inspiring story. Blood donation is a noble cause. I am sure many will be inspired by this blog and adopt it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A truly inspiring life story, worth emulating, but extremely difficult for anyone to come anywhere close Uncle inspired innumerable people throughout his life, and the beneficiaries of his benevolence shall hopefully continue to spread the message of his life to millions who can make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sir I'm very unfortunate to not get a chance to meet your father but one thing I want to share that his legacy and humble nature continues in you .I glad to have known you and delighted as well .

    ReplyDelete

  12. This is an outstanding &inspiring story Blood Donation is really a very noble cause.I salute your Dad Amit bhai

    ReplyDelete
  13. Extremely touching and inspiring narration of a true karmayogi ..Shat Shat Naman . There are many who read and recite Gita ..but very few who live practice and manifest Gita ...Such strong commitment and selfless devotion to the service of mankind is indeed bestowed by almighty to very very select and chosen individuals ...Shat Shat Naman

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amit your Dad was a true Saint and I'm glad you are sharing his story with all of us. Such an inspiration. God bless

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment